Sunday, November 7, 2010

Gratitude

Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone.  ~G.B. Stern 

Gratitude: the quality or feeling of being grateful or thankful

      It seems as though these days that we are a generation of selfishness.  We live in a day and time when "thank you" is hardly murmured for opening a door, passing the salt, or any time when we should be thankful that others took the time to help us, no matter how minute the task may be.  We hardly take the time to even notice or be aware that others are even doing things to make sure we succeed in our lives.  
      What's worse is that it's not only children who are selfish these days, it's adults and parents.  Each and every one out for number 1; not caring who they hurt on their way to the top - or to their happiness. 
       What we need to be aware of is that what we do, how we act, how we treat others, affects the way others, who are constants in our lives, act on a daily basis.  What happens is that this trend continues to carry on with those people, constantly affecting another, and another and another; to the point that everyone might say, "why should I care?" Why should I help others when no one is helping me?"  This statement is NOT the way to look at our lives, we should be thankful, gracious, caring and FULL OF GRATITUDE, towards those who have helped us along the way.  
        If I have learned nothing in my life besides the fact that gratitude is needed, gratitude is earned, deserved and to be respected, then all is okay.  Because I have learned that those who love you most, help you the most often in ways you never even think really matter, in the smallest ways possible, really deserve the upmost gratitude from you and need to be told how gracious you are and that what they are doing has helped you become the person you are today.
        I hope that in the future I am able to help do for others as many have so graciously done for me in these past years of my life and that one day I can make a difference for someone who needs that little extra help, no matter what it may be.  
        So THANK YOU, you all know who you are and I hope you all know how much you mean to me. Gratitude is memory of the heart.
 
The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.  
~John E. Southard
      



No comments:

Post a Comment